Outdoor Kitchens | Where do I start?
When most people think about outdoor kitchens, they envision a summertime oasis complete with a grill, sink and plenty of counter space for prep work. But whether you’re an experienced chef or just enjoy grilling out on the weekends, an outdoor kitchen can be a great addition to your home.
Before you start planning your outdoor kitchen, there are a few things to consider. First, think about how you will use the space. Do you entertain often? Will you be cooking for large groups? Do you prefer simple meals or gourmet fare? Knowing how you’ll use the outdoor kitchen will help determine the size and layout of the space.
Next, consider your budget. Outdoor kitchens can range from basic setups with a grill and prep space to fully equipped outdoor kitchens with built-in appliances. Work with a professional to find the best way to stay within your budget while still getting the features you want.
Finally, think about the location of your outdoor kitchen. Will it be attached to your home or freestanding? If you live in an area with severe weather conditions, you’ll need to take that into account when choosing a location. Make sure there is enough space for all of your desired features and that the outdoor kitchen will be safe and stable in any weather conditions.
Here are some key functions to consider for your outdoor kitchen:
- Built-in island – A built-in island is a great way to add prep space and storage to your outdoor kitchen. islands can be custom made to fit any outdoor space and can be outfitted with a variety of features, including sinks, cabinets and countertops.
- Grill – The grill is the centerpiece of most outdoor kitchens. When choosing a grill, consider the type of fuel you want to use (natural gas, propane or charcoal), the size of the cooking area and the features you want (such as rotisseries or side burners).
- Refrigerator – A refrigerator is a must-have for any outdoor kitchen. It will keep your food and drinks cold and within easy reach. Choose a refrigerator that is durable and weather-resistant
- Smoker – A smoker is a great way to add flavor to your outdoor cooking. Smokers can be used to cook meats, vegetables and even desserts.
- Sink – A sink is a handy addition to any outdoor kitchen. It can be used for food prep, cleaning up after cooking and more. Choose a sink that is durable and weather-resistant.
- Storage – Outdoor kitchens need plenty of storage for all of your grilling supplies, dishes and more. Storage options include cabinets, drawers and shelves.
- Countertops – Countertops provide a work surface for food prep and can also be used for dining. Choose a countertop material that is durable and easy to clean.
- Griddle – A griddle is a great way to cook breakfast, lunch or dinner outdoors. Griddles come in a variety of sizes and can be used on gas grills, charcoal grills and even campfires.
- Built-in pizza oven – A built-in pizza oven is a great way to take your outdoor cooking to the next level. Pizza ovens can reach high temperatures, making them perfect for cooking pizzas, breads and more.
- Ice Maker – An ice maker is a great way to keep your drinks cold and within reach. Ice makers come in a variety of sizes and can be built into your outdoor kitchen or freestanding.
- Paper towel holder – A paper towel holder is a must-have for any outdoor kitchen. It will keep your paper towels within easy reach, so you can clean up after cooking.
- Heater – A heater is a great way to extend the outdoor cooking season. Heaters come in a variety of styles and can be used to heat your outdoor kitchen, dining area or even your pool.
- Fans – Fans are a great way to keep your outdoor kitchen cool in the summer months.
- Firepit – A firepit is a great way to add ambiance to your outdoor space. Firepits can also be used for cooking, making them a versatile addition to any outdoor kitchen.
- Wine cooler – A wine cooler is a great way to keep your wines chilled and within reach. Wine coolers come in a variety of sizes and can be built into your outdoor kitchen or freestanding.
- Built-in waste basket – A built-in waste basket is a great way to keep your outdoor kitchen clean and tidy. Built-in waste baskets can be outfitted with a lid to keep unwanted pests out.
- Outdoor TV – An outdoor TV is a great way to entertain guests while cooking. Outdoor TVs are weather-resistant and can be mounted on your outdoor kitchen or freestanding.
- Pergola – A pergola is a great way to add shade and style to your outdoor kitchen. Pergolas can be custom made to fit any outdoor space and can be outfitted with a variety of features, including fans, lights and more.
As you can see, there are many options available for your outdoor kitchen. The sky is the limit when it comes to planning and designing your perfect outdoor space. Once you have an idea of what you want and where you want it, the next step is to start planning your outdoor kitchen. Begin by sketching out a rough design of your space. Then, start gathering inspiration from magazines, websites and more. When you have a good idea of what you want, the next step is to start pricing out materials and equipment.
Part of the fun is designing the space for your exact needs. However, it is always wise to consult a professional unless you know exactly what you’re doing. Adding gas lines can require permits and a skilled person to help you ensure things are installed correctly. Start dreaming today!